Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Mummies With Moldy Dressing (Baked Southwestern Eggrolls with Cilantro Ranch Dressing)


Zoulah is so proud to bring you her latest creation in her Bewitchen Kitchen.  The Red Couch Food Critics loved Zoulah's Egg Rolls and clamored for more.  They happily dipped their mummies (egg rolls) in the addictive moldy dressing (Cilantro Ranch Dressing).  The Cilantro Ranch Dressing is not her creation but Zoulah adores it as well. 

She could use the Cilantro Ranch Dressing  as toothpaste -- hmmm looks like maybe she did! She could use the Cilantro Ranch Dressing  as a face mask --- hmmm looks like maybe she did -- is that why her face is green?  She dipped her warty, gnarled fingers in the dip cackling with delight!  She thought the dressing would be good for hand moisturizer .

She is so thankful to Our Family Favorites for recreating this dressing from one of her favorite restaurants, Cafe Rio,  Cafe Rio is a Utah institution.  They are famous for their Sweet Pork Barbacoa Salads served with this Cilantro Ranch Dressing. 



Zoulah included a "leeeetle" tutorial on making egg rolls and reminds everyone that they are simple to do.

The Egg Roll Recipe -- Inspired by Annie Eats
Yield -- About 24

Ingredients:

2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend or Cheddar
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles, drained
Leaves from 1/2  bunch cilantro
4 green onions, chopped
1 tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper

1 package egg roll wrappers (about 24 total)

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine everything but the egg roll wrappers. Mix well to blend.   See the tutorial for making egg rolls below.
Preheat the oven to 425˚ F. Lightly oil a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the sealed egg rolls on the baking sheet seam side down and drizzle the tops with olive oil.   Bake for about 15 minutes, or until lightly brown, turning halfway through baking. Serve warm with Cilantro Ranch Dressing.

Egg Roll Wrapping Tutorial

Place about 2-3 tablespoons of the filling on top of the egg roll wrapper.  Have the egg rolls cornters pointing towards you.  It will be a diamond-shape.


Tuck the nearest eggroll corner near you underneath the filling and make it tight.


Put a little bit of water on the egg roll and fold the left corner in.


Put a little bit of water on the egg roll and then fold the right corner in.


Roll the eggroll and then seal the corner with water. Bake the egg roll with this top down on the pan.


The Cilantro Ranch Dressing is irresistible!

The Cilantro Ranch Dressing Recipe

1 packet TRADITIONAL Hidden Valley Ranch mix (not BUTTERMILK)
1 c. mayonnaise ( Zoulah hopes that you would never use Miracle Whip)
1 c. buttermilk
2 tomatillos, remove husk, diced
1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro -- washed, but you don't need to take the stems off.
1 clove garlic
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 to 1 jalepeno -- depending on your preference

Mix all ingredients together in the blender.

Zoulah hopes you enjoy these Egg Rolls!

Linked with the following:

Wow Us Wednesdays, Weekend Wrapup, Metamorphasis Monday, On the Menu Monday, Made By You Mondays

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the name and they look delicious! I can't stand Miracle Whip either. :)

Julie Harward said...

I would love to sit down to a plate of these babies...;D

Lynn said...

Sounds like a ghoulishly delightful dinner:@)

Barbara F. said...

Thanks for the egg roll tutorial! Never tried them myself. These look really delicious. xo

Debbie said...

Oh yes! Baked egg rolls. I love them, but I always feel guilty eating and enjoying them. I could eat a boatload of these.

Thanks to Zoulah!

La said...

Hi Zoulah! Your egg rolls look delicious as does the moldy dressing. If these are half as good as Joni's pork egg rolls, I'm on board.

Lisa said...

Wowzah! These look incredible!!!
Lisa

Jacqueline said...

Tell zoulah we have been drinking this stuff lately too! I made it for pizza sauce this week when we lit up the pizza oven, and then dipped my bread sticks in it! I could paint my face in it too but I am worried I might end up with Zoulah's skin color!

Now all we need are the mummies! Sounds like a good dinner this week! Yummy mummy!

Marlis said...

Eggrolls with green chiles.. you had me there.. I will be making these.. OMG.. they look fabulous.. and then serve them with the moldy dressing.. xo marlis

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Zoulah has great taste in food and color! I can't wait to try those southwestern egg rolls and dipping sauce.

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Zoulah is full of it this Halloween! We love eggrolls, so I must make them. Maybe for Halloween :-)

Anonymous said...

you and your sister are so clever! i bet you had a great time growing up! anne

Miss Merry said...

Thank you so much, Zoulah, for the recipe inspirations for my Halloween dinner party. The more gruesome the better and I hope my guests are leary about eating these! (More for ME!)

Sue said...

Oh yum! These look great, Joni! Love this Mexican twist on egg rolls. Your toothpaste comment made me laugh:)

Kathleen said...

Toothpaste? Who are you kidding, Z and B have never let toothpaste touch their witch lips. or teeth!

Looks great, have to try the bake method, I have only fried. Come over for a Nordic Cornucopia pan give away!

Nicole @ Sew Much Sunshine said...

Oh my goodness! Those look delightful! I'll have to try this recipe! :)

Jenny said...

I am printing this out! Thanks for helping me with my dinner plans tonight. I think with a salad this would be perfect!

Engageya