Thursday, December 20, 2012

An Invitation to Sit at the 'Nice Table"


 
 
Welcome again to Red Couch Recipes!  Is there someone in your life, and I am sure there is, who deserves to sit at the NICE TABLE?  Or do you deserve to sit at the NICE TABLE?  Santa is right there, and as the song goes "He sees you when you're sleeping.  He knows when you are awake.  He knows if you've been bad or good so be good for goodness sake!"
 
 
 

 
 
 
Click HERE to view the post on the NAUGHTY Table. 
 
 
 
 
At the "Nice Table," you get to sit with Santa and have some milk.....
 
 
and some cookies.  These are the Anise Cookies that my Aunt Ionia made every December 24th.
 
 
I know of several people I would like to invite take a seat at the NICE TABLE.
 
 
It snowed 10 inches on Tuesday at our home.  In fact, it snowed soooo much that I couldn't go pick Mr. Red Couch up at the airport that night...and he had been gone for ten weeks.   He took a shuttle to his paren'ts home and spent the night.  To get to the airport from my home, you have to go through a long canyon, and when it snows it is sooo treacherous because the altitude reaches 9,000 feet.
 
At the NICE TABLE, your flatware is in these cute little Santa Pants.
 
 
My neighbor deserves to sit at the NICE TABLE!  He came and snowplowed my driveway for over an hour!
 
 
Then about 90 minutes later, there was 4 more inches of the snow on the driveway.  I left to pick up my daughter from high school swim.  "No, I am sorry but you can't go to the basketball game tonight, there is a blizzard going on..."  My house sits on a little hill and when I came back from picking up my daughter, my car wouldn't go up the hill.  So I am inviting my daughters who shovelled the snow around the car, and brought out some salt and poured it on the snow so that I could make it up my driveway.
 
 
The next day when I drove my daughter to school, I got stuck on some slippery ice.  I stopped and then I couldn't go forward.  My daughter Tati got out of the truck to try to push me...but to no avail.
 
 
I was stuck in the middle of the road blocking traffic!  Then a girl, who goes to my daughter's school got out to help push. My daughter doesn't really know the girl, but she says that she is so NICE  She is also very pretty, but NICE always trumps pretty, don't you think?
 
 
 
Then a mom in a van got out to help push me out....and success!  Don't you think the high school girl and the mom deserve to sit at the NICE TABLE?
 
 
Our high school is also situated on a small hill.  There was a line of cars from the high school to the little college.  I looked at my daughter and said", You better get out and walk because I KNOW I will get stuck on that hill."  The line of cars was stacking up because the cars couldn't get up the hill.
 
 
Tati told me later that there was a group of kids helping to push people when they got stuck.  They also get an invitation to sit at the NICE TABLE.
 
 
And finally, let us extend an invitation to the teachers, who didn't give the students tardies that day because of the icy conditions.
 
 
I am so thankful for the NICE people in this world! Little things like helping push someone out of the snow really do make a difference.
 
 
 
I wish all you NICE Red Couch Readers a wonderful and marvelous Christmas season.  Here at the Red Couch Home we are celebrating that Mr. Red Couch is home for while, and all is right at our home.  I am deeply aware that some of you may be facing serious problems and afflictions this Christmas and my heart goes out to you this Christmas. 
 
 
 
On another little note, Pottery Barn inspired me to make the little "milk glass snowmen."  I bought Starbuck's Cappuchino, it comes in a 4 pack at Wal-Mart.  We don't drink coffee at our home, and so I brought the 4-pack home and promptly put it down the sink!  I bought it for the little containers.  My son thought I was sooooo weird!  Anyway, you just glue on some buttons and tie around a little ribbon, add a straw, and some milk....and voila a little snowman!
 
MERRY CHRISTMAS
 
Posted with the following:  Tablescape Thursday
 
 
 

18 comments:

Jacqueline said...

I love your nice table. I was telling friends about the naughty table last week and one of my friends is going to do that for Christmas this year for the kid's table.

Love the little snowman bottles. I have a whole stack of those from when I did it for Halloween. They are so perfect.

Glad to have Mr. home and can't wait to see him!

Donna said...

Very cute table. Love the reds and the vintage look.
D

Anonymous said...

Those snowman glass milk bottles are precious!! I'm going to hunt some down to make for my little nieces!! happy holidays!! anne

Marlis said...

What a fabulous table.. omg. plaid and the milk bottles and the bells and i am gushing so sorry. So glad all are home safe and sound.. on ice, but a floor mat under the drive wheels.. works well to get traction most of the time. Merry Christmas and wishing you many blessings in the year to come. xo marlis

dizzyizzy said...

This is the most adorable table. I love it! Great idea for the milk jug snowmen. Can I borrow your idea? Merry Christmas!

Barbara F. said...

I love your Nice table, I may start out at the naughty table but I would love dessert, like some chocolate milk in those adorable bottles, at this Nice table. Ah, the joys of winter in some parts of the country. I'm dreaming of a white Christmas ...........not!! ;-) Blessed Christmas to you and your family, and I am so happy Mr. Red Couch is home. xo

La Table De Nana said...

Yes thank goodness for NICE:)

I have loved Nice all my life!!
You get to sit at the NICE table:)

Yours sister too:)
You must be so happy to have MR Nice home..

Those are the cutest little bottles..do they come all decorated?

No PB here..

But we are getting way more snow tonight and tomorrow~

Enjoy this time with your family..

Lynn said...

I love your pretty nice table Joni, that's a great plaid tablecloth! So glad to hear your hubby's home and it sounds like you'll have a nice white Christmas-enjoy:@)

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love this cuteand fun table, you see, my fav color for C'mas is red and green, as it holds many memories for me of C'mas pasts. Loving the great plaid tablecloth too. Merry Chritsmas to you and yours.
FABBY

Tea in Texas said...

First you are a great MOM! The thoughts for your kids and others in both posts are great! I love both tables and there are some people I would love to see at the naughty table but there are more nice and wonderful people in my world so the nice table needs more places. The Santa pants are darling. A Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Pam

capybara recipes said...

I love those decoration that you made for Christmas! Totally awesome! I do love red color! It is so attractive! Thanks for posting such a wonderful article!

Mary said...

I adore your milk glass snowmen! I need to buy some Cappuchino to drink for the adorable glasses! Your nice table is so cheery and I love your Santa pants flatware holder :) I can't wrap my brain around that much snow, we rarely see it and it usually comes in the form of ice causing all the trees to fall on power lines. So nice you have such helpful neighbors to help push, shovel, and plow your way clear! Wishing you & your family a Merry Christmas!

Alycia Nichols said...

First of all, I'm glad everyone is OK after all that snow. 9000 feet up?!?! Oh, Joni...that's too wild! I can just imagine how pretty it would be driving through there, though, if you could do it safely. That's the kind of scenery us flatlands folks don't get to see very often. I'm glad your husband made it home safely, too. I know you guys must have missed each other terribly!!! Ten weeks is a long time! I can't get through 10 hours without getting weepy and weird! :-) Those of us at the Naughty table would be causin' a riot...mad because we weren't able to enjoy all the fun details on the Nice table! I LOVE those milk bottles! Girl, that is SUCH a great idea...and so easy to do! The Santa pants are SO COOL!!! If you tell me you knitted those yourself, I am going to choke!!! The little hangers they're on are too cute! The lantern and plaid table covering are great elements for the table, too. You just went to town on this one!!! As for your Nice Table choices, I agree...each and every one of those good folks deserves a seat there. In this world that can be so cynical and so egotistical and so downright mean sometimes, it's always heartwarming to find people who reach outside their own little worlds to be of meaningful service to others. We can't all afford million dollar endowments or Oprah-style "YOU get a car! And YOU get a car!" gifts, but that's OK. One of the greatest gifts of all is that of our time and commitment. Have a VERY happy and SAFE Christmas, Joni!

Sue said...

What a wonderful post! I think I am going to do that same thing with the bottles, including dumping them down the drain:) You definitely belong at the NICE table! Have a Merry Christmas with your family! XO, Sue

Kathleen said...

That is a really NICE table! So cute! I save those bottles all the time, they come in handy! I do drink coffee, but no alcohol, so milk is fine with me!
Merry Christmas, Joni!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I LOVE your NICE table, Joni. I'm so glad that Mr. Red Couch is home after so many weeks away. Your PB inspired milk jugs are so adorable. Happy New Years to you!

The Tablescaper said...

So cute and fun!!!

Merry Christmas.

- The Tablescaper

Sarah said...

I was happy to sit at the naughty table, but this one is darling. Can't decide if I want to be naughty or nice. ;-)
Glad no one was hurt with all the icy conditions.

Engageya