Friday, April 6, 2012

Sugar Cookies for Easter


Sugar cookies don't last long at the Red Couch Home.  We are all huge fans of these no-fail sugar cookies decorated with Royal Icing. Besides eating them, my favorite part about these cookies is decorating them.  I love to sit down and come up with different color combinations and designs; decorating is relaxing to me.



Here is the recipe for the no-fail sugar cookies.  This is my favorite sugar cookie recipe.  I originally found it on Sue's (Munchkin Munchies) wonderful blog.  The secret to making these cookies is to make them thick, and to not overcook them.  I love the fact that it is a no-chill recipe!  In  my oven, I bake them for about 8 minutes.  The cookies are set up, but they are not brown on the bottom.  It is comical to hear my sister Jaqueline and I spar about our favorite sugar cookie recipe to use with Royal Icing; she and I don't agree on recipes!  She does not like my recipe, and I do not like her recipe.

No Fail Sugar Cookie Recipe

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
6 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
2 cups butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients and add to butter mixture. Mix well.
Roll to desired thick and cut into desired shapes. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or just before they begin to turn brown around the edges. I like to roll them at least 1/4 to 1/3 inch-thick; they just tast so good thick. Also be sure to check them at 8 minutes with the first pan.  You might need more time,  but just to be sure, check them early.
Royal Icing Recipe
Makes about six cups of icing
7-1/2 cups confectioner's (powdered) sugar
6 tablespoons meringue powder
12 tablespoons warm water
Beat in a stand mixer for about 4-5 minutes until smooth. You may have to add a slight bit of water, if it is too thick for you to outline the borders of your cookies. If the icing is too thin, then add more powdered sugar. When adding water, do so carefully. You can use a decorator tip or bottle to make the outline. Outline your cookies and allow them to dry for at least one hour. For flow consistency, filling in your cookies within the outline, you will need to add additional water. Fill in each cookie, with the help of the back of a spoon; back up the icing to the border. All of my cookies were designed when the cookies were wet.  I used white icing for the fill-in icing, and then while wet, I added pink, turquoise, and lavender icings.  I let the cookies tdry overnight.  With just a little bit of experience you will be able to know the proper consistencies for both the border and the fill-in icings.  Click Here to my Fireworks post to see some Royal Icing techniques, including the feather and pinwheel designs above.


Hope you have a great Easter!

13 comments:

Beth said...

Joni, Your cookies are beautiful! I am taking a cake and cookie decorating class through adult ed. We did royal icing and mine was way too thick. I guess I will need to experiment a bit more to get it right! Happy Easter!
Beth

Marigene said...

Beautiful cookies...I have been using this sugar cookie recipe for at least 40 years. I have tried others, but they never come out as good as these.
Happy Easter!

Lynn said...

Your cookies are very pretty Joni, no doubt they don't last long! Happy Easter Weekend-enjoy:@)

Danielle's Sweets said...

I'm not suprised they don't last long. These look delightful. I love the way you decorated them : ) I'm going to try your no fail recipe. My weakness is sugar cookies!!

Happy Easter!

Danielle xo

Pondside said...

How pretty they are. Little works of art to be devoured in no time!

Lisa said...

Great colors, beautiful cookies - have a wonderful Easter!
Lisa

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Thank you so much for another wonderful recipe! No fail sugar cookie, I am making them! Wishing you a Happy Easter!

Sue said...

Joni, Your cookies are beautiful! Thanks for the shout-out. I agree with you about this recipe...We are going to have to talk some sense into that sister of yours;) Happy Easter!

mr. pineapple man said...

These look fantastic! Happy Easter!

Jacqueline said...

Bring me some good ones and I will try them again! These turned out so pretty. I love the colors you used. We made another batch of the sandwich cookies and we are all addicted!

Jacqueline said...

Sue, I read that!

Donna and Anne said...

These are beeee-oootiful. Must make next year!

Debbie said...

I always love the things you do with cookies and royal icing. I've actually tried your recipe, and it IS a good one.

I'm still making a hot mess with some creative icing attempts, but that doesn't keep me from trying.

Engageya