Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Vivid Valentine Sugar Cookies



A very vibrant welcome to Red Couch Recipes!  There's almost no better way to celebrate a holiday than making sugar cookies.  I had such fun "playing"  and making these cookies "knock your socks off" colored cookies. The No Fail Sugar Cookie recipe I have included is a wonderful dough to work with.  I felt like I was in preschool playing with play dough.  Just add paste food coloring in the desired colors.  I chose red and purple.  The purple color  is so vibrant and alive.



I first started making cutouts like these hearts waiting to be baked.


Then I started getting creative making striped cookies.



Then, I started using the scraps to make the groovy cookies pictured at the top.  You just mush all your scraps together, flatten the dough, and roll the cookies out.  I think they are my favorite.


I have included the recipe for the No Fail Sugar Cookies.  I don't know the original source of this recipe, but I first found it on Sue, Munchkin Munchies, wonderful website.  It has become my favorite sugar cookie recipe...think frozen cookies!



No Fail Sugar Cookie Recipe

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
6 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
2 cups butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients and add to butter mixture. Mix well.

Roll to desired thick and cut into desired shapes. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or just until beginning to turn brown around the edges. I like to roll them at least 1/4 to 1/3 inch-thick; they just taste so good thick. Also be sure to check them at 8 minutes with the first pan. Most likely, especially if they are thick and large cookies, you will need time, but just to be sure, check them early.
Thanks for dropping by Red Couch Recipes!

Posted with I'm Lov'n It, Foodie Fridays, Weekend Wrapup, Met Monday, Made By You Monday

13 comments:

Debbie said...

Joni, I love the way you did with with multiple colors. That is so cool. I'm picturing pink and green and yellow for springtime too.

Moore Minutes said...

These are so unique and fun! Wow, I'm impressed with the process. I love how they look! Happy Sweetest Month! <3

Bonnie said...

They look like "60's" cookies. So colorful. I am going to have to try this recipe. Thankss, Joni.

Marigene said...

You are so creative, Joni!
Cute cookies.

Tricia said...

Love the red and purple together! This looks like a fun activity when my grandkids visit this weekend! Thanks for the ideas!

Alycia Nichols said...

I have some sugar cookie dough in the fridge right now waiting for me to come create something cool with it. Your psychedelic hearts are really cute! I didn't know they make purple food coloring now! I've always had to mix red & blue to make purple and it almost always turned out a funky, weird color. Yours look great!

Lynn said...

Fun cookies Joni! I think I like the striped ones best-enjoy:@)

Kathleen said...

Love those colorful hearts! I am baking right now. I don't know if mine are as good, certainly not as pretty!

Jacqueline said...

Such fun colors! This looks like playing with playdough. I love your colors and the fun sizes. I bet they taste as good as they look.

Entertaining Women said...

Thanks so much for the recipe. I'll give it a try. Wanted to share my favorite Sugar Cookie recipe with you, too. Cherry Kay

GREAT SUGAR COOKIES

2 C. Sugar
1 C. shortening
1 C. margerine
2 eggs
2 t. vanilla
Blend. Then add:
4 C. sifted flour
3 t. cream of tartar
1 t. soda
1 t. salt
Mix. Place by heaping teaspoons on greased cookie sheet. Flatten w/ greased glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350° for 8 - 10 minutes. Makes 5 dozen. May be rolled and cut in shapes if you desire.

Red Couch Recipes said...

Cherry Kay, thanks for the sugar cookie recipe. I love all kinds of sugar cookies, especially frozen with icing on them. This looks like a great recipe too. Joni

Pondside said...

Wow - those are so cheery. I don't know where you get all your ideas, but holidays sure must be fun at your house.

Lindsi B said...

Would you please share this with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/02/14-days-of-valentines-fun-stuff-fridays_10.html

Engageya