Monday, November 7, 2011

Cheesy Cabbage Ham Soup


Welcome to Red Couch Recipes! 

We woke up to snow this morning!  It was so fun to see the gigantic (or gigantor as I call them) snowballs the kids joined together to make before school!  This Cheesy Cabbage Ham Soup is a wonderful fix for the cold weather.  It is creamy and delicious on a cold weather day.  Are you a soup person?  Some in my family are and some aren't.  I am surely a soup person.  This recipe was taken from a family cookbook that my sister-on-law, Dawnell, and my mother-in-law, Geniel, spent many hours compiling; the recipe book is a treasure.

Chessey Cabbage Ham Soup

Ingredients

4 tablespoons olive oil
1 bag (16 ounces) shredded cabbage
2 cups chopped onion
1-2 quarts water (enough to completely cover the vegetables)
2 cups shredded carrots
2-3 cups diced potatoes
12 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 cups milk
1 quart half and half -- I used fat free.
2 cups grated cheddar.  I used Sharp.
16 ounces cooked, diced ham.

In a large dutch oven or stock pot, saute onion and cabbage in the olive oil.  Add carrots, potatoes, bouillon and enough water to cover (1-2 quarts) the vegetables.  Simmer until vegetables are tender. Add half and half to vegetable mixture.   In a small sauce pan, add butter, flour, pepper, and paprika.  Add milk and cook on medium heat until thickened and add to vegetable mixture.  Stir in cheese.  Allow cheese to melt into thickened soup.  Season with salt to taste.  Enjoy.

Notes:  You could also replace the bouillon cubes with chicken stock and reduce water.  I used canned potatoes.  For a meat-less meal, leave out the ham.  This makes a huge amount of soup!


14 comments:

Julie Harward said...

Thanks for sharing this Joni. it looks wonderful! It has snowed here today too..all day long! This soup will be perfect! ;D

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Joni, Did you see me raising my hand when you asked if any of us were soup fans! Yes I am!
What a wonderful sounding soup! So full of great flavors!
I'm making this next week and it will be ON THE MENU MONDAY MONDAY with a link back to this post. Could I use your luscious photo with a photo credit of course!
I can't wait to try it!
Enjoy the snow!
xo Yvonne

Lisa said...

I am a card carrying soup a holic so this sounds incredible! You are so lucky to have a family treasury like that.
Hugs.
Lisa

Lynn said...

Raising hand here too! Love soup, especially when it has cabbage in it! Sounds like you have a great family cookbook, that's fun-enjoy:@)

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

Well first of all, I'm jealous of your snow. I'm one of the few who loves it!
I'm with Yvonne raising my hand because I love soups and chowders. I would never have thought of a cheesey cabbage soup but it sounds wonderful. I'm bookmarking this.

Thank you for sharing from your families recipes!

Nancy

Jacqueline said...

Nope no snow here! We have just got some in the mountains but the cold makes me crave soup. I just love it especially with homemade bread. Glad you made it out of the Bermuda triangle.

Diane Hodrick said...

I have been having a soup craving lately. My mom used to make a simple, but delicious Venus Di Milo soup that is perfect with grilled cheese on a cold day. We were in the 40s for temps last week, but but in the 60s this week. I can't eat soup when it's 65 out, not the same. This soup sounds delicious. And it looks so pretty in your post. I will have to wait for the cold to settle back in and try it for my gang.

Bonnie said...

I love cabbage soup. We are definitely a soup family. I could eat it year round. Thanks for sharing. This is not a recipe I have seen before and I will definitely be trying this on soon.

Sue said...

Snow? You are happy?

I am such a soup person. I always say if I could only have one food it would be soup. I have saved this one for when I go to the store. I'm always looking for new ones to try and we like all the ingredients in this one.

Debbie said...

I'm on a soup kick these days. Fall always does that to me. I love the creamy look of this.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I know I would LOVE this soup full of my favorite things. There was snow in Madison yesterday too. Nothing here...yet.

Sue said...

Yep, we are soup people:) This soup looks perfect for our weather; it's pouring rain and so windy! I love it! Stay warm this weekend, Joni!

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

There is nothing better on a cold day than a hearty bowl of soup. Those old family recipes are always the best. Cabbage is one of my favorite veggies and I know my family will love this.

Pam B said...

The soup recipe looks fantastic; I've pinned it and can't wait to try it. Just found your blog (through Yvonne at StoneGable) and have added your blog to my list.

Hugs,
Pam

Engageya