Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Raspberry Buttermilk Cake



Seriously, when you add buttermilk to any dessert recipe, I am in!  This recipe,  inspired by a Gourmet 2009 magazine, didn't disappoint.  I found a sale on raspberries recently and bought 24 clam shells.  After making 3 batches of jam, eating them, and using them in my Buttermilk Pie Recipe, I scoured the Internet for a cake recipe.  When I saw the word buttermilk in this recipe, I knew it was the recipe for me.

Also click here to enter my giveaway for a 4 pack of Girard Dressing; the dressing really is delicious!




Like everyone else, I love cake and desserts in little individual pots -- they just taste better that way, don't you think?  I used 5 small ramekins from Pier 1.  I don't know what size these ramekins are considered so I measured the fluid capacity, in case you are interested in making individual cakes.  The ramekins hold to the indentation 1/2 cup, to the rim they almost, not quite, hold 1 cup.  This cake makes 6 servings, you may want to use six ramekins, but I loved how the cake spilled over the top of the ramekins when I used five.  You could also use other berries, peaches, etc.

Raspberry Buttermilk Cake Recipe

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk
1 cup fresh raspberries -- about 1 clam shell.

1.  Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle. Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan or 6 ramekins. 

2.  Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

3.  Beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar (reserve 1-1/2 tablespoon sugar to sprinkle on top of cake batter before baking) with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes, then beat in vanilla. Add egg and beat well.

4.  At low speed, mix in flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, and mixing until just combined.

5.  Spoon batter into cake pan, smoothing top. Scatter raspberries evenly over top and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar.  I used about 6 raspberries for each little ramekin. 

Waiting to be baked.


6.  Bake until cake is golden and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool to warm, 10 to 15 minutes more. Invert onto a plate.  I baked the ramekins for about 23 minutes.  I left the cake in the ramekins for serving. 


Thanks for stopping by Red Couch Recipes.


26 comments:

Lynn said...

Looks like a great cake Joni, I love the little spill-over too! I bet the jam is amazing-enjoy:@)

Sue said...

Just the thought of having that many raspberries at once made me shiver...how lucky for you! They have been so expensive here that getting one little container is a treat! The cakes sound so good. I agree that buttermilk adds a richness to baking.

Lisa said...

Oh how delicious looking.
Lisa

Debbie said...

This looks delicious, and I love individual desserts. If I do Six when the whole family is home, that's three for me. Hmmm....

Barbara F. said...

Delicious! Love little ramekins. xo

Bonnie said...

I agree about buttermilk in a cake recipe, Joni. This sounds delicious. I must try it.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Joni, this is right up my alley. And I do believe we have the same red couch!

Taylor said...

I love how you baked them in the little ramekins...they are so cute!! And they look delicious!

La said...

YUM! Joni, I love all berries and think this sounds magnificent.

Unknown said...

this is a lovely recipe w/ photos! I am here from a link up at Savvy Southern Style....your photos were inviting. Take Care!

Marigene said...

Oh, those little cakes look delectable! I love, love love raspberries...they are my favorite of all berries.

Julie Harward said...

They are the cutest little desserts! Thanks for sharing a yummy, I want to make these! :D

Jacqueline said...

I love seeing the before and afters as those luscious berries sink into the buttermilk batter. Save me one (yeah right!!!) I could eat raspberries none stop. They would be delicious in a salad with your Girard's Champagne dressing. It is fantastique!

Bonnie said...

I love buttermilk cake. We picked Berries at the McBride Briar Patch in Mapleton last weekend so I know what I'm doing today (after I make Jelly). I'm off to get out the ramekins.

Lovely Light said...

This looks so yummy!I love how the raspberries made a design on the top!

Gypsy Heart said...

These look beautiful and I'm sure with using buttermilk and raspberries they are delish! The raspberries were so expensive here and I rarely see them now ~ I do love them though. Thanks so much for sharing!

Pat

Kathleen said...

Mmmm! They look wonderful!

Amy said...

These raspberry buttermilk cakes look wonderful. I love that you put them in individual servings! Much easier to eat and no fighting for the corners of the cake! LOL

Tiffanee said...

Oh these look amazing and so delicious. They are also very beautiful!!

Michelle said...

These look AmAZING! Thank you for sharing! I eat gluten-free, but I think I am going to work at adapting this recipe to my specific needs... this looks too yummy not to try!

~Michelle
http://michellebelanger.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

i just picked up some beautiful and HUGE raspberries. this looks like the perfect..oh so sd summer is over after dinner treat! i will definitely be making them.

Beth said...

Oh, Joni, how delicious those look! I'll take mine warm with a scoop of ice cream! They look very pretty too. You are a wonderful cook; your family is very lucky!
xo, Beth

JENNY K. said...

These look divine! Raspberries are my favorite berry! Visiting from TT&J. I'm going to pin these on Pinterest and make them soon.

Jeanie said...

Super Pretty!

Kim McCallie said...

The raspberries are beautiful! What a pretty dessert. I'd like to invite you to share your recipe on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/09/sweet-indulgences-sunday-21.html

Vicki V said...

Beautiful! I've been waiting all summer for raspberries to go on sale, and they haven't. The past two summers, I got them for $1 for 6 oz. and literally bought about 40 of them!

Engageya