Saturday, September 24, 2011

Zoulah's Halloween Goodie Pedestals -- From Trash to Terrific


Welcome to Zoulah's Halloween Bash and to Metamorphasis Monday!  This is Zoulah's first time linking to Metamorphasis Monday.  Zoulah not only loves cooking in her Bewitchen Kitchen at Halloween, but she also loves to craft.  Zoulah and her twin sister Beaulah, residing at Purple Chocolat Home are both hosting a Halloween Bash this Halloween.


 Zoulah found this glass candlestick at the local thrift store for $2.00.


These wooden trays were $1.00 each.  When Zoulah saw these, her witchie eyes started to hatch a Halloween craft.


Zoulah's Intructions:

1.  Gather together an ugly candstick and an ugly wood tray.

2.  Paint tray and candlestick with acrylic black paint, or your choice of paint color.  Let paint dry.

3.  Apply miniature Halloween signs or use a stipple sponge to make polka dots (see pedestal above).  Wal-Mart sells a package of stipple brushes.  Zoulah found the little signs in a package at Michael's  Craft Store last year -- they have similar things this year.  See the pedestal below.

4.  For the pedestal with Halloween signs, Zoulah applied Modge Podge 

5.  Seal, if desire.

6.  Let dry and glue, with a glue similar to E-6000, the tray to the candlestick.

6.  Add a tulle bow and a little Halloween Jack-O-Lantern.  Wal-Mart has these glittered Jack-O-Lanterns and other large confetti shapes for one dollar for a package.  There are at least 20 pieces of Halloween confetti in each package. 


Zoulah's Notes:  Originally, Zoulah was going to make a double-tiered pedestal, but she didn't like the look with these trays.  She only bought one candlestick and had to share the candlestick for these pictures and needs to find another one at the thrift store.  Because of the Modge Podge and sealant, Zoulah wouldn't recommend serving food, like cookies on this tray.  She feels that cupcakes, and candies, and cookies in little dishes would be fine.  Zoulah also has a round glass clear cake plate that fits perfectly on the pedestals to protect the food.


Zoulah can't wait to serve some of her food from her Bewitchen Kitchen on these Halloween Pedestals!

Thanks for dropping by Zoulah's Halloween Bash at Red Couch Recipes!

Posted with the following:  Metamorphasis Monday, Craft-O-Maniac, Made By You Monday, Wow Us Wednesdays, I'm Lov'n It, Weekend Wrapup, Falloween

25 comments:

Allie and Pattie said...

Joni, This is my favorite month at Red Couch and Purple Chocolat! Can't wait to see what you 2 come up with! Hope I make it till the end of the month without missing anything! I'm loving this pedestal- just adorable!
xoxo Pattie

Barbara F. said...

Zoulah did a wonderful job. I am happy to see there are others in Blogland who enjoy this holiday as much as I do. :) xo

Julie Harward said...

That is so cute..way to go creative lady! ;D

Bonnie said...

So Creative. Love that you bought cast-aways and made something awesome with them.

Sue said...

Joni, I have always wanted to do this, but now I REALLY want to do this! These trays look so FABULOUS! Who would ever know they were made from "ugly" components?!? :)

Lynn said...

They both turned out great Joni...er, Zoulah. Lovin' the polka dot one, but dots always make me smile:@)

Anonymous said...

very clever:) anne

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I love both trays! Great idea, Zeulah - you're the best :)

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Oh my, I love the both trays!! Thanks for the inspiration from Zoulah!!!

Jacqueline said...

I can't tell you which one I like better! Beaulah can't either. I was sure I would like the polka dots best and then I saw the 2nd one and it is adorable too. Very cute project and so inexpensive. Zoulah rocks!

La said...

These are fanastic. Zoulah is very witch-crafty.

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Wow! Wonderful job from Zoulah! Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

On Crooked Creek said...

Joni,
"Mr. Ed" used Bisqick...
2 1/2 cups bisquick
2/3 cup milk
He just added two spoonfuls of sour cream to the milk and wisk it up, then into the Bisquick!
"Mr. Ed" has been published in an Alumni Cookbook and watches Barefoot Contesa with me, occasionally! Thanks for asking. Enjoy!
Fondly,
Pat

Miss Merry said...

Zoulah - you always have such creative ideas for celebrating Halloween! I can't wait to see your recipes, too. Thanks for dropping by for a visit.

Kathleen said...

That's witchin! I bet Z fills it up with some great treats too!

Amy said...

What a creative way to revive something junks into this amazing decor! I'm so NOT a crafty person but you made it sounds so easy. My hubby would be shock when he got home caught me digging up "trash" and junks in the garage! LOL

Renée said...

I've been sending all kinds of wonderful stuff like this to DI recently. Look what you've created Zoulah, I'm green with envy!

Decor To Adore said...

Oh I just love your pedestal! I hope you will add your lovely metamorphosis to my Fall in Love linky party on Wednesday.

Until then, stop by and see the under $20 makeover I gave an ugly brass light fixture.

Happy Monday!

abeachcottage said...

Really cute pedestals :) and so perfect for halloween.

Marilyn said...

Sooo pretty..love this idea..:)) Found ya on hop and officially following ya with smiles..I'm Marilyn from http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/ and will love for you to stop in sometime...Loving your blog and off to read more :))

Kath said...

that's a really cute halloween pedestal! really adorable. I'm a new follower and excited to look at your other projects on here. take care!

kathryn
www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

Sammy said...

Awhh! This is super cute!

Sammy ~ Renew Redo

Debbie said...

That is just adorable and clever! That Zoulah is one creative house guest, isn't she?

Maybe she has a third sister named Oolah that she can send my way.

a quiet life said...

such a cute idea~

Heather said...

I love this I think I am going to hit up the nearest thrift store and see what treasures I can find!

Engageya