Friday, May 20, 2011

Patriotic Groove Cookies


Let's hear it for the Red, White, and Blue!

I have been cookie crafting a bit in the kitchen recently and I came up with these Patriotic Groove Cookies.  Don't you think they would make a splash on your Memorial Day or 4th of July Table? 

Patriotic Groove Cookies
Recipe and Instructions
1 cup sugar
1 cup softened butter
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 egg
3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Red and Blue Coloring

Mix sugar, butter, milk, vanilla and almond extract, and egg. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until well incorporated.  Divide dough in three equal parts.  Leave one part uncolored for the white dough; color one part of dough with red coloring; color another part of dough with blue coloring.  Form all three dough parts into rounds.  Then flatten into disks.  and cover and refrigerate for at least one hour. Sometimes I cheat and place the rounds in the freezer for about 20 minutes.  Take dough and combine the three colors to make a cookie, about tablespoon size or a little larger.    Place cookie dough balls on baking sheet and flatten slightly with the bottom of a drinking glass.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes.  Cool on wire rack for about 5 minutes.

Notes:  I loaded my colors into a cookie scoop, but you could just press the colors together to make them.  If you DO use a cookie scoop, make sure you clean the scoop out, with a paper towel, after you form each cookie so that the colors won't transferThe cookie recipe is from an old Betty Crocker Cookbook.  I have used this basic recipe many times in my cookie crafting.

The Three Doughs


Loaded in the Cookie Scoop

 "There’s a dear old flag floating over land and sea
And beneath its folds all men alike are free
Tis the emblem of a righteous liberty
The old red, white, and blue."

Partial lyrics to the song, "The Old Rd, White, and Blue."

Cooling...Almost Ready to Eat


Thanks for dropping by my Red Couch!  I hope you will add some pizazz to your Memorial Day or 4th of July table with these cookies.


Posted with the following:

41 comments:

idesign said...

very cool, might have to try these out :)

Jackie
http://iadapt-daily.blogspot.com

Joy Tilton said...

oh beautiful, for hungers sake, for crispy bites so good! Thanks for helping me plan my Memorial Day menu...

Lynn said...

They turned out great Joni! I'm sure everyone would love them at the B-B-Q:@)

Designs on 47th Street said...

These would be really fun to serve. Everyone from children to their grandmammas would love them.

Donna

Sue said...

I love these, Joni! Oh, the possibilities! Have a wonderful weekend, friend:)

Lilianna Grace said...

So cute! These would be cute packaged with a little note that says "Made in the USA" or "made in America". Thanks for sharing!

Marigene said...

Cool cookies, Joni!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

These remind me of Crazy Vanilla ice cream... exactly the same premise. These are definitely a twist on the red, white, and blue food theme. Love it!!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I love them! Cheery, bright and patriotic. You are my Queen of Cookies!

Debbie said...

Perfectly festive for patriotic days! I really like this idea. It's simple yet special.

Lori said...

These cookies are so cute!! My grandchildren would love them. Plus they are perfect for Memorial Day and 4th of July holidays. Have a great weekend!!

Lori

Pondside said...

I'll bet those will be a hit!

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Oh Joni, you got me wanting some cookies now! Those turned out so darling! Great pictures!

Hugs,
Maryjane

Red Door Home said...

We have lots of July birthdays in our family so I just might have to try these!

Cathy said...

Great cookies, Joni. These will be perfect for a 4th of July cookout (if our weather ever gets warm enough that is)I have some grandkids who would think their grandma was really if she made these festive cookies.

Beth said...

Your cookies are really lovely, Joni! Knowing you, I'm sure they are very tasty as well. Blessings to you and your family. Sorry I have not been around as often lately; I started back to full-time work a few weeks ago.
Beth

Jacqueline said...

What a fun cookie for Memorial Day or July 4th and how easy. I love how colorful they are and I know some grandkids who would like to be in on the making and the eating of these. They are always looking for something sweet at grandmas and would stick their noses right up to the oven window to watch them bake.

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

I love red white and blue anything, and these are so yummy looking! I'll have to give them a try! Linda

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! Thanks for some really cool ideas.

Tina said...

I hopped over from Betty Crocker's post on Facebook.
Love this cookie idea. I've done this with pastel colors at Easter, too.
Thank you for sharing! You have a new follower!

Pam in Verde Valley, AZ said...

Could you possibly make this into a log and do slice and bake cookies? I have an old Betty Crocker cookbook, too, and keep going back to it again and again.

Julie said...

Those are the cutest...I bet they'd be great for making little sandwich cookies!

Red Couch Recipes said...

Pam, I tried to e-mail you, but couldn't. Yes, you could make these as slice and bake cookies. I made them in three colors for Halloween candy corn cookies -- they were fun! Look for the candy corn cookies in the cookies or halloween labels; there's a mini-tutorial on how to make spiral cookies -- they would look fab in red, white, and blue. Joni

CookiesKids.com said...

These are so cute! I love patriotic dishes so much - they're like an added bonus to "just having dessert".

Michelle Maskaly said...

Really cute idea!

Andrea said...

Can you use any of the refrigerated sugar cookie doughs out there? Looking for any short cut I can take.

Sue said...

I have the grands coming for the weekend. They would think these are fun!

Okio B Designs said...

Yum!

Jeanine

Chef in Training said...

yum! These look awesome! I enjoyed looking around your blog! I am your newest follower and would love if you would check out my blog and follow me too! thanks!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Barbara F. said...

Hi Joni, wanted to wish you a very happy, happy birthday! Just popped over from J's blog. Have a wonderful day, and these cookies look great and perfect for the upcoming weekend. xo,

Marlis said...

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Joni, happy birthday to you. And many more! I hope the day is fabulous and that you are showered with blessings.

Katie@Cozydelicious said...

These cookies are awesome! I'm saving this one for 4th of July!

Sarah said...

Cute idea, Joni!
I'm here to wish you a Happy Birthday. Hope it is filled with fun surprises!
Hugs ~ Sarah

a quiet life said...

fun cookies and happy bday!

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY JONI"!!!!!!!I hope you have a wonderful Birthday week. AND thank you for this great patriotic recipe. They look delicious!
Have Fun Today and everyday.
Big Hugs,
Donna

d e l i g h t said...

Happy Birthday Joni! Hope you have a great day. These cookies look fun!

Sue said...

Happy Birthday bloggy friend! Have a fantastic birthday and year, Joni!

Beverly said...

I heard it is your birthday. Happy Birthday to you.♥

I hope you will be joining us this weekend for The Pink Saturday 3rd Birthday Celebration. I've missed you.

Melissa @ Cajun Sugar Pie said...

Cute! Would love for you to share these on my Memorial Day recipe linky on CajunSugarPie.com!

Anonymous said...

You always come up with the coolest ideas for holidays! Love this idea!

Jenny said...

These are so neat. I'm going to bookmark them for the Fourth of July!

Engageya